此足以稱為達現法涅盤之比丘。’

頭像
freshman
文章: 2208
註冊時間: 2006-01-08, 08:00

文章 freshman » 2011-09-19, 19:46

tranlated by Sister Upalavanna

(115) Dhammakathika I Ý An Expounder of the Teaching I

1. I heard thus. At one time the Blessed One lived in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika in Jeta's grove in Sàvatthi.

2. Then a certain monk approached the Blessed One, worshipped and sat on a side.

3. Sitting, said to the Blessed One: ßVenerable sir, it is said, `An expounder of the Teaching.' How does someone become an expounder of the Teaching?û

4. ßThe monk teaches for turning, loosing interest, and ceasing from matter. True to the words he is an expounder of the Teaching. The monk has fallen to the method of turning, loosing interest, and ceasing matter. True to the words he has fallen to the method of following the Teaching. The monk has turned, lost interest, ceased, and is released without holding to matter. True to those words the monk experiences extinction in this life.

5-7. The monk teaches for turning, loosing interest, and ceasing feelings, perceptions, and intentions. True to the words he is an expounder of the Teaching. The monk has fallen to the method of turning, loosing interest, and ceasing feelings, perceptions, and intentions. True to the words he has fallen to the method of following the Teaching. The monk has turned, lost interest, ceased, and is released without holding to feelings, perceptions, and intentions. True to those words the monk experiences extinction in this life.

8. ßThe monk teaches for turning, loosing interest, and ceasing consciousness. True to the words he is an expounder of the Teaching. The monk has fallen to the method of turning, loosing interest, and ceasing consciousness. True to the words he has fallen to the method of following the Teaching. The monk has turned, lost interest and ceased without holding to consciousness. True to those words the monk experiences extinction in this life.

頭像
freshman

文章 freshman » 2011-09-19, 21:02

SN 12.16
PTS: S ii 18
CDB i 545
Dhammakathiko Sutta: The Teacher of the Dhamma
translated from the Pali by
Maurice O'Connell Walshe

[A monk said:] "'Dhamma-teacher, Dhamma-teacher' they say, Lord."

"If, monk, anyone teaches a doctrine of disenchantment[1] with decay-and-death, of dispassion[2] [leading to] its cessation, that suffices for him to be called a monk who teaches Dhamma.[3]

"If anyone has trained himself in this disenchantment with decay-and-death, in dispassion[4] [leading to] its cessation, that suffices for him to be called a monk who is trained in what is in conformity with Dhamma.[5]

"If anyone, through disenchantment with decay-and-death, through dispassion [leading to] its cessation, is liberated from grasping, that suffices for him to be called one who has attained Nibbaana in this life."[6]

Notes

1.Nibbidaa: sometimes rendered "revulsion," but this suffers from the defect of suggesting too strong an emotional reaction. "Disenchantment" covers it better.
2.Viraaga is quite literally "dis-passion." The syntax of this sentence is rather curious, but the meaning is clear enough.
3.This gives a clear indication of the minimum standard required for anyone (today, in the West, often a lay person) setting up as a teacher of Buddhism. It denotes a "worldling" (puthujjana, i.e., one who has not "entered the stream") who has the basic intellectual knowledge mentioned here.
4.This one is a sekha "trainee," i.e., one who has at least "entered the stream" (and thus knows in part from experience), but is not an Arahant.
5.His training is proceeding along the right path.
6.He is an asekha ("non-trainee," i.e., one who has finished his training), an Arahant.

頭像
freshman

文章 freshman » 2011-09-19, 21:05

和SN 12.16對應的【雜阿含經】第365經

如是我聞

一時。佛住舍衛國只樹給孤獨園

爾時。世尊告諸比丘。謂見法般涅盤。雲何如來說見法般涅盤

諸比丘白佛。世尊是法根.法眼.法依。善哉。世尊。唯願為說見法般涅盤。諸比丘聞已。當受奉行。雲何比丘得見法般涅盤

佛告比丘。諦聽。善思。當為汝說。若有比丘於老.病.死。厭.離欲.滅盡。不起諸漏。心善解脫。是名比丘得見法般涅盤

佛說此經已。諸比丘聞佛所說。歡喜奉行